It is with a heavy heart that the club sadly announces the passing of one of our former coaches and mentors, and a giant in football on the Gold Coast, Darrell Olive.
Darrell arrived on the Gold Coast in the late 1970s from the southern Sydney region, making his name as a tremendous player and leader, coach and mentor, contributor and friend to almost all who crossed his path.
After a brief battle with illness, sadly Darrell passed on Wednesday.
From Twin Towns to Palm Beach, Kingscliff, Tumbulgum Rangers, Murwillumbah, Tweed, Burleigh, Canunga and more, Darrell gave a wealth of contribution to football in our region and in Australia, eventually landing his feet at Nerang Soccer Club and the Academy of Football Australia in his final years as a coaching director and mentor to so many of our rising players and aspiring coaches.
Titles and trophies, grand finals, classic golfing yarns … with so many wins and losses and football folklore all tucked neatly under his belt he was a walking history book on the local game on the Gold Coast, but it was surprisingly here at Nerang that perhaps one of his most proud and rewarding achievements came to stand when he helped to bring the mighty Celtic FC to the club, ensuring that his football passion, knowledge and steadfast support shone through at every instance be it during his visit to Celtic Park, his interactions with football royalty and his selfless support and contributions to visiting coaches from Scotland – Darrell’s passion and commitment to our kids was a beacon of enthusiasm and love of the game which he proudly wore on his sleeve.
A father, grandfather, a friend and a true footballer and as tough as they build them in every sense, we will all dearly miss Darrell.
The club, our players and parents, coaches and committee, our supporters and we are certain the whole Gold Coast football family extends our deepest sympathy to Darrell’s close friends and family, Renee and the kids and all who held a special spot for Darrell in their heart.
Details regarding any funeral service or memorial gatherings are yet to be finalised and we will inform all at the appropriate time.
Below are a few snaps from Darrell’s time at Nerang and underneath the photos is a timeline history of his football career and years as a player and coach.
1950 – 2020
- 1962-64 Caringbah Rangers (U/12-14)
- 1965 Nth Caringbah Redbacks
- 1966 Sydney Prague U/16 + Coach of nursery team
- 1967 St.George U/18 + Coach U/10
- 1968 North Caringbah Seniors Premiers +Grand Final Winner and played in Sutherland Shire Reps and Coached U/10
- 1969 Cronulla Seagulls Premiers and G/F Winners + Sutherland Shire Senior reps
- 1970 Nth Caringbah + Coach U/6
- 1971 Nth Caringbah + Coach U/7
- 1972 West Sutherland + Coach U/8
- 1973-77 Cronulla Seagulls + coach U/10, U/11, U/12, U/13. George Gailbrath Coach in 75 and Darrell toured the Gold Coast with his Cronulla U/12’s. Ex- Gold Coast Federation President (Peter Gray) at Cronulla in 1977
- 1978 Darrell moves to the Coast and plays with Twin Towns in Brisbane 4th Division
- 1979-80 Twin Towns + Coach U/ 8, U/10
- 1981-82 Palm Beach + Coach U/15. From 1980-82 Darrell represents Gold Coast in Ampol Cup
- 1983 Twin Towns with Dennis Dodd, Ray Wixy and George Lees
- 1984-1985 Palm Beach back to back Grand Final Winner+ Golden Oldies America.
- 1986-87 Kingscliff Player Coach, winning best and fairest in 87.+ Coached U/12. Played alongside legendary World Cup winner Bobby Moore in Golden Oldies tournament at Carrara Stadium
- 1988 Tumbulgum Rangers Player Coach. Winning promotion after cleaning up 5 out of 6 trophies on offer in the 2nd Div
- 1989 Murwillumbah Wanderers Player Coach
- 1990 Beaudesert Player / Coach Winning Promotion after winning the Treble in the 2nd Division
- 1991-93 Palm Beach + Golden Oldies in Sydney and Won Barbarians F.A Cup
- 1994 Tugun Player Coach + U/12 [coaching Eddie Lee’s daughter]
- 1995 Tweed Heads 1ST Team manager + Colts Player Coach
- 1996-1998 Golden Oldies [2 Masters tournaments]
- 1999 Kingscliff [Tyalgum] Tweed Comp Grand Finalist
- 2000 Kingscliff [Tyalgum] Player Coach + U/12 G.F Winners.
- 2001 Palm Beach U/15 and U/11
- 2002-2005 Golden Oldies + Palm Beach
- 2006 Ass Coach Gold Coast U/13 State Championships
- 2007 Burleigh Heads U/11 Boys+ U/17 Girls both Grand Finalists
- 2008 Fast Feet S.A.Q
- 2009 Canungra U/17 Girls G/F Winners+ U/10 + in the same year coached Special needs group of players with Asperger’s + Rathdowny U/14
- 2010 Canungra Women’s Coach+ U/12 + Rathdowny Women. First Title in the history of the club for Rathdowny women
- 2012 Palm Beach U/13 Grand Final Winner
- 2013 Burleigh Heads Girls U/12
- 2014 Burleigh Heads Girls U/13
- 2015 Burleigh Heads JPL Boys U/13
- 2016 Burleigh Heads U/14
- 2017-2019 Coaching director, JPL coach and mentor at Nerang Soccer Club and Academy of Football Australia
*Thanks to John Benigno for compiling the above information