Match Reports – A Week In Rewind After Rain Wipes Out Games

PHOTOS & VIDEO: A wet wipeout this weekend so we look back at a strong week of Eagle action on the field.


U6 Blue & U6 Red via Luke Sorensen

Our first of two rounds where we actually get to play against each other and, despite the great friendships amongst the squad, both teams held nothing back when they went at it.

It was surprisingly enthusiastic, with strong competitiveness amongst the players only matched by great mateship and a great sense of unity. Kyal and Ethan went at it for the entire match trying to outdo each other at every chance after Kyal scored for the Red team about 4 seconds after the opening whistle.

From then on it was a case of catch up, which came in the form of an outstanding goal to Brock for the Blue team, equalising in style with a strong finish.

Dylan ran well, as did Nevaeh and Muku. Sophie got amongst the action as well, at times proving to be a key defender.

And what a spectacular match it was, with both teams holding on to their single goal until the end. The players agreed that it was a great way to finish, and that because it was 1 goal each, that both teams had won the match. What a great outlook, something we all could learn from. Well done to the U6 teams!!!


U7 Red via Rebecca Mulcahy

A special note this week to wish Theo a speedy recovery after breaking his clavicle (collar bone) two weeks ago at the carnival in Coomera. Theo will be unable to play for around 6 or 7 weeks but we appreciated him being at the game on the weekend to cheer his team along. And good luck to Sam & Amy in keeping him still to allow the injury to heal!

We’re told that Theo didn’t mind the ‘green whistle’ and was brave throughout the incident and ambulance trip.

On Saturday we played Mudgeeraba Blue and once again had a very tough fight on the field with the team searching for a chance to break through their defence. Going into the last seconds of the first half locked at nil all Mudgeeraba found a brief hole in our defence line to score just before the half time whistle.

The second half of the game continued back and forth with Nerang firing attack after attack but unable to break through or find the net. Mudgeeraba made our defence work hard but they found the net from quick passes that caught our team off guard twice.

Congratulations to Eli on scoring our only goal late in the second half. We created some good chances but were unlucky not to find the net. Going into the final seconds once again Mudgeeraba found the net ending the game with a 4 to 1 win to the yellow and black.

You could see everyone put in a solid effort, especially with no substitutions for the whole game, all the boys played and gave it their all – well done Nerang Blue, so proud in your efforts and keep up the hard work.


U8 Eagles via Matthew Bitzios

Our U8 side made the short trip south this week to face Mudgeeraba Black for the first time. After a string of games against talented sides, you’d be forgiven for thinking that the team’s morale must be low. However, our young players showed why Nerang should never be underestimated, playing with a vigour and intensity usually seen only in confident, championship sides.

With a new formation on display, the young Eagles struggled for fluency in the first half of the game. However, their never-say-die attitude eventually saw them chase down a defensive error from a resolute Mudgee to put Nerang up 1-0 going into half time.

As we adapted to the game, the second half proved more fruitful with five goals being scored over the 20 minute period. An improvement in our defensive positional play and incisive passing on the counter-attack saw Nerang finish the game 4-2 winners.

It is no coincidence that our first win of the season came at the moment where we started working as a team and passing the ball around. Liam received excellent service throughout the game which helped him to finish with four goals to his name. Special mention must go to our backline with both Max and Riley helping keep the ball in the attacking half of the field. This allowed us to build real pressure on Mudgeeraba and provided a great platform for the team to push on and claim our first win of the season!


U10 Blue via Jason Wright

Nerang went into the game vs Mudgeeraba full of confidence with an undefeated 4-0 start to the season. Down a goal early was a new experience for the boy’s and it took time to adjust to the fast bumpy pitch and a well drilled Mudgeeraba outfit which blunted many early opportunities for our forwards Robert and Ashton. Half Time 0-1.

After a massive feed of watermelon and oranges the 2nd half started with great determination. Inspiring runs from our tireless mid fielders Jesse, Tyler and Maxim who all started to find space out wide, creating many more opportunities which resulted in Matthew (man of the match) scoring the equaliser halfway through the 2nd half after a great team passing effort.

With the scores at 1-1 the intensity lifted from both sides resulting in great saves from Declan (The Wall) and the Mudgeeraba keeper. A well earned draw was looking likely. With less than 5 minutes to go, Ashton ran onto another beautiful through ball slotting home the winner through the keepers legs with a great individual effort.

Cheered on with enthusiastic support from the sidelines who were chewing their fingernails. The resolute defence from Brad, Morgan, Aaron and Lewis continued to repulse every surge from the opposition that would not quit. We were happy to hear full time. Game played in great spirit. Nerang Blue 2 to Mudgeeraba Blue 1.

Thanks to Tracy Pautschnig for the great action shots!


U11 Red via Sean Moyles

It was a hard fought match for the U11s against the Ormeau All-Stars. Beau was first to receive special attention from the Ormeau players and was fortunate to be able to continue after having ice applied to his injured knee.

Cristian opened the scoring with a well taken finish and added his second soon after Ormeau had equalised. Surely that first hat trick of the season can’t be far away…

The real moment of magic came in the second half. Charlie picked up the ball on the edge of the Ormeau penalty area and showed great bravery, skill and composure to lob the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper’s head. It was a goal any professional player would have been proud of and was warmly applauded by supporters of both teams.

Angus was a rock in the centre of the Nerang defence and thoroughly deserved his ‘Most Outstanding Player’ award.

Ormeau fought back and their hard work was rewarded with a second goal. It was then that a series of unfortunate decisions by first an Ormeau player and then the referee left Nerang’s goalkeeper Alex carried off after a particularly poor challenge, Ormeau’s players celebrating a goal and just about everyone else in attendance scratching their heads and wondering how the goal could possibly be allowed to stand.

This was a great test of character for these young Eagles and we can be proud of the way they handled themselves in very trying circumstances. Sometimes a moral victory is sweeter than an actual victory.


U12 Division 2 via Richard Gray

The Nerang under 12 div 2 team had a hard fought win against the Mt Tamborine Eagles last Saturday.

After many missed opportunities in the first half they finished the half 2-1 up, the team pulled it together in the second half to net 3 more goals and cement there place at the top of the table with a hat trick from Hamish.

The other goals going to Noah and Fergus.


Mens Firsts

A rollercoaster ride of a week, with an incredible come-from-behind win against Pacific Pines last Saturday boosting confidence. With only 8 minutes left in the match, the lads turned a 2-1 deficit into a 4-2 win with some stunning goals. (see video below)

The good run was however short lived when, on Tuesday, we were bested by a strong Tweed Heads outfit to the tune of 4 nil.

The ladder is tight this year with only a few wins between most teams on the points tally – the season is wide open for the taking!